Camera and Lens Rental FAQ
Brisbane Camera Hire Opening Hours?
We run extended hours on Monday and Friday to assist those with full-time commitments. Please note that we may close earlier than these advertised times if we have no further bookings for the day. If you have not made a booking and it’s late in the day, please phone to check with us first.
- Monday to Friday – 9am to 4:00pm (Or until 5pm by prior appointment only)
- Please note – From the week starting 25th September 2023, we will no longer be opening Wednesdays.
- Saturday – 9am to 12noon (All pick ups and returns must be completed by 11:45am)
- Sunday – Closed
How are rental periods charged?
- We charge by the 24 hour period. A 1 day hire is 24 hours (Overnight), 2 day is 48 hours etc. Basically, count the nights! If you only need the lens for a part day, we can do that also. Often we can be flexible with your pick up and return time which will give you a little extra time if needed. Just ask when booking!
- Weekends can be a little different – If you are just shooting on Friday and can return by 10am Saturday – 1 day rate.
- If you need to hire later than 10am Saturday – 2 day or weekend rate.
- We are happy to provide multiple quotes if you’re not sure!
Lost hire items
- It’s common for items to be returned incomplete, often people remove the hood and forget to re-attach, or leave a lens cap in their bag. In order to uphold the quality of the Brisbane Camera Hire experience, we are unable to re-rent equipment if accessories are missing. Therefore we will not be able to process an incomplete return, and you will need to extend your hire period until the item can be returned in full. Please double check everything upon return such as lens and body caps, chargers, batteries, charging cables, camera bags and lens pouches.
- Our ability to punctually service our hire bookings means that we very much rely on hires being returned on time. As much as we want to provide flexible return we are sure you’d not be impressed if, on collection, you had to wait 3 hours for a tardy returner. If you can let us know BEFORE you are overdue, we can potentially extend you out a little longer, but we can’t promise that will be possible on all occasions, particularly during the peak seasons where bookings often run back to back.
- LATE FEES: If you don’t let us know and you simply do not return, late fees of $50 / day will be applicable. If the day rate of the late item is higher then $50, you will be charged that fee. If after 48 hours of no contact and no return, the items are deemed stolen and the matter referred to Queensland Police.
Damaged hire items
- Firstly, don’t stress. Accidents happen and we understand! Damage to the gear is the responsibility of the hirer so we offer comprehensive insurance cover which will cover you for damage with an excess of $1000 per claim, not per item. In the event that insurance was taken, the hirer will be liable for the excess ($1000). If insurance was not taken, the hirer is liable for the full amount of damages or replacement if the gear is written off. We will work with you to find a happy medium, we’re not ones to go out and buy a brand-new lens to replace a used one!
Stolen hire items
- The hirer is liable for the full replacement of the items including accessories such as camera bags, memory cards etc.
- Theft or loss will also be reported to the police.
- At times theft or loss will be a fraudulent claim – we are well onto this – don’t try it.
- Our staff can answer basic questions about the inventory, however if you need some extra support or training let us know (before your hire date!) and we can hook you up with some great trainers!
- If we deem that the hirer does not possess the required skills and knowledge to operate the hired gear safely and adequately, we reserve the right to decline or cancel the hire booking. The risk of damage to gear jumps considerably if there is not the required skills, experience or knowledge.
- Learn more about our training options.
Can I hire without a booking?
- It’s definitely best to book in advance to secure what you’ll be needing. While we maintain healthy stock levels, popular items still book out in advance. In saying that, we will happily service walk-in customers so long as they’re armed with 100 points of I.D.
Do you charge a bond?
- No, in normal circumstances we do not take a bond, there are some instances where we do. However, in lieu of a bond we do require current credit card details on file. Please see below for instances where a bond is required.
- On presentation of a current Student ID card you will automatically receive 20% off your hire! Be sure to tell us you’re a student when you book in.
- OR you can sign up to our BCH Pro Membership program which will give you 12.5% discount on all of your hires and heaps of other benefits as well!
- Your hire payment is usually done in 2 parts. 50% of your hire fee is processed upon booking of the items – this secures the hire, and ensures no one else can hire those items – they are yours.
- The balance of your hire (the other 50%) is then processed when you come in to pick up the gear.
- For hires whereby the pick up date and time is less than 24 hours from the booking time – payment in full is required.
- We offer pay on account to Government departments, and Pty Ltd companies with a minimum monthly spend of $1000.
Can my hire be delivered?
- It’s a possibility, yes! Drop us a line and we’ll see what we can work out for you. For local hires, we use Uber Parcel regularly. Alternatively we can do a quote via some of our other reliable carriers.
Is there an age limit to hire?
- You need to be at least 18 years of age, as you will be required to sign a hire contract. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have an adult with you who can sign on your behalf and take joint responsibility for the contract entered into.
ID required to hire
- All customers need present a minimum of two forms of Identification from Australian authorities upon first rental and every 12 months thereafter.
- At least one form of identification must be from Group A or Group B, the 2nd can be from Groups A, B or C, however combined they must contain your name, address, photo and prove Australian citizenship and/or Australian residency (i.e. green medicare, permanent residence visa).
(if you do not have Identification with your photo on it then you must agree to us taking and hold your photo on file for you to be able to hire).
- In general, Australian Issued Drivers Licence and Medicare Card will meet the requirements.
-A fully certified birth certificate (or copy certified by a Justice of the Peace)
-A current passport
-An Australian citizenship certificate
These items must include a photo for verification
-A current license or permit issued under Australian law that has your photo, name and address, eg. Driver’s licence
-Identification issued by Government authorities eg. Public Service Employee ID
-Pension Card, Health Care Card
-Official correspondence addressed to you such as a public utility account (eg. gas, water, electricity), council rates, bank statement or similar
-Medicare, Bankcard, Visa or other credit card
-A student identification card issued by an Australian educational institution
Can I hire if I am not an Australian citizen?
- All customers will need present satisfactory Identification. If you are not an Australian citizen / resident then the below Identification is required, along with a credit card bond as listed below in the bond section.
-A current passport
-A current visa for Australia
-Proof of address in Australia within the last 8 weeks
-Proof of address in the country your passport was issued from
-Bond may be waived if you have an Australian resident co-sign the hire agreement.
Please note any attempt to leave the country with rented equipment will be considered theft (unless authorised in writing from Brisbane Camera Hire).
Is a bond required?
- If you pay for your rental with a valid credit card and are an Australian citizen / resident and you meet the identification requirements, and the rental equipment value is under $10,000.00, then usually nil bond is required.
- If you are not an Australian citizen / resident then we will most likely require a refundable bond (credit card only). The bond required will be different depending on how much equipment you wish to rent.
NOTE: Bond is only refundable if the equipment is returned on time in the same condition as hired, otherwise part or all the bond will be forfeited.
|Equipment Value||Bond Value|
|less than $500||$100|
|$500 – $1,000||$250|
|$1,001 – $1,500||$500|
|$1,501 – $2000||$750|
|$2,001 – $3,000||$1,000|
|$3,001 – $4,000||$1,300|
|$4,001 – $6,000||$1,800|
|$6,001 – $8,000||$2,500|
|greater than $8,000||$5,000|
Do I need ID the 2nd or subsequent time I may rent?
- For Australian citizens, after your first rental, you are simply required to present a valid photo ID showing your current address.
- If you have not rented within 12 months of your previous rental, you will be required to present two valid forms of identification again.
After hours pick ups or returns
- If we are required to open the store after hours, the following surcharges apply. We can’t promise that we will be able to accommodate your request, as it will also depend upon staff availability.
- Monday to Friday – 4pm to 10pm – $90
- Monday to Friday 7am to 8:30 am – $90
- Monday to Friday 10pm to 6am – $150
- Saturday 1pm to 10pm – $110
- Sunday & Public Holidays – $150
- Overtime (wait fee) whereby we have to stay past our opening hours – $17.50 / 10 minutes or part thereof.